Friday, June 3, 2011

In the land of the leprechauns!

Greetings from the Irish! I’m in Ireland right now world, and just loving it!

But first, let’s go back to the weekend, shall we?

I got home on Friday from the Barcelona trip, and then proceeded to repeat the story of the trip to all members of the host family Smile Then I folded, stuffed, and licked envelopes until the cows come home. You see, my host dad sends out this annual letter to all his customers, telling them about the new wines, the prices, etc., and he has millions it seems like! So, the whole family was in the dining room getting these letters ready. And when it seemed like we were almost done, BAM, they multiplied like rabbits and there were a hundred more. Literally. Saturday morning found me doing the same thing, haha, and then in the afternoon, I headed to Zurich. We were having a “Good-bye to the Oldies” party for all the exchange students, so we all met up, had a little picnic dinner, talked, signed books and flags, and just had a really nice last time all together! Afterwards, I and a few others went into Zurich to a sports bar and watched the big soccer game! Then Sunday found me packing, spending time with the host family, and packing some more. Then sleeping Smile 

(WARNING! THIS IS A PHOTO GALORE! BE PREPARED! Smile) And now to MONDAY! So, I got up nice and early, 6:00, and then I headed to the train station and met Becky and together we headed to Geneva airport!

1

At the airport, ready for the Irish!

We checked in, security, all that jazz, and then realized our plane was 2 hours late. I could have slept for 2 more hours! Oh well. . . Once the plane finally arrived, we quick loaded up and then off we were to Ireland!

9.

And when we got off the plane, we were welcomed by this lovely “Welcome to Dublin” sign!!! I. Was. Pumped.

We made our way through the airport, got our bus passes, and then made our way to our hostel. The Irish people have just been so kind helping with directions, offering to take pictures, etc. I just love them! I mean, Swiss people are nice yet cold. So it has been a nice change. . Smile 

We found the hostel really easily, with the help of our bus driver, checked in, dropped bags off, and then headed out into Dublin! I didn’t realize it, but Dublin is actually a really small city! You can easily walk everywhere! And it doesn’t feel like you are in a huge city! It’s really nice!

12

Armed with my map and ready to go!

53

Look how cute those doors are!

We basically just wandered around the city, got some souvenirs, ate, and just soaked it all in!28 This is a statue of the man who helped Ireland change itself to a Free Catholic State.

32

Kansas always somehow finds me. . . . . 36

The River Liffy. Such an Irish name. I love it.

41

This hat was SO LEGIT! I’m rockin’ it right?! Smile 

50

Christ Church!

10

That night, we went around town and got some dinner, but it was SO COLD! I mean, I thought Switzerland was cold, but no, Ireland. Is. Cold. And of course, Becky and I came here with each 1 pair of pants and 1 jacket. The rest was cute little shirts and dresses. So we had to buy scarves and sweatshirts. So when you see me in the same outfit all week long, you will know that I have nothing else suitable for this winter weather. Smile 5

TUESDAY! We woke up after sleeping in, since we were dead tired, and once we got up, we got ready (in the same outfits from the day before since it was freezing and we had nothing else) and we headed out for the bus tour! It is this super cool double decker bus that takes you all around Dublin and talks about different sights, history, etc. This here was the Wellington Monument, it was for the Duke of Wellington for conquering Napoleon in the Battle of Waterloo.

7

Next stop, the Irish President's house! It looked a lot like the White House, but what we learned was that the White House was actually designed by an Irish man, and so more than likely, is based somewhat on this house.

13

Next, we headed to St. Patrick’s Cathedral! I was expecting some grand church, but it was really unimpressive for all that it’s cracked up to be. But still, glad I got to see it! This was me in the main hall of the church!

25

Jonathon Swift, writer of “Gulliver’s Travels”, actually worked in the church and is buried there. And on his tomb marker is this fantastic quote! It just cracks me up! Like wow, what a loving saying, you know?

26

Outside the entrance to the church!

Now, a warning.

I understand the Rotary rules. The 4 D’s. And I have lived (mostly. . . ) by them all year. But, I shall admit (as I am posting them to my blog, so obviously you will know) that I did break a rule. I went to the Guinness Storehouse. *Gasp*. But you see, A) this is the #1 tourist attraction there. So we had to go. B) As I did have 1 drink, I w as not doing anything stupid (Mother, understand?) and C) It is the “experience” that I am here for, right?! Smile So, without further adieu (is that right? haha) here we go!  

30

Welcome. W.E.L.C.O.M.E. Smile  Before, when Arthur Guinness started making beer, he used this warehouse. He started the company when he inherited like 100 euros I think it was, and bought some land, where he would build the warehouse. Nowadays, they make the beer in a different building, and the original warehouse is used a a tourist “experience”. So now, I know everything there is to know about Guinness. Quiz me. Smile 

32

Not looking touristic at all in our matching shirts. . . . . . . Smile 

33

It was so funny. They are so egotistical there! Haha! They love themselves. They had great little quotes throughout like this one. . . .

39

43

44

See! It’s good for me! Smile 

After learning the secret to the beer (I won’t tell. . . . . I promised. Smile) and finding out all there was to learn, we learned how to “Pour the perfect pint!”. This is where I think my mother had a miniature heart attack. (Don’t worry mom. I ‘m still planning on college. Just bartending on the side. . . Smile )

49

After going through the instruction course (Yes. This was totally legit) I took a whack at it! And, needless to say, I succeeded!

54

After pouring the “Perfect Pint”, I received my diploma! And then was able to enjoy the beer. Although, it was too barleyish for me. But if you are a fan of Guinness, hit me up. I have 10% off coupons for when you go to Dublin to tour the place! Smile

57

And to finish off the tour, a picture by the famous gate!

After, we went and got some dinner, and then finished off then night with an Irish coffee!

62

I was a fan. Smile 

WEDNESDAY!

We got up bright and early and headed out! We hopped on our city bus tour (since it was hop on, hop off, quite practical if I do say so myself) and went to our first stop of the day, Kilihaiham (or something like that) Prison. It was used from way back in the 1800’s (maybe it was 18th century) and was used up until 1924, when it shut it’s doors. In the 90’s, the Dublin Restoration Association was founded, and they began to restore the prison back to it’s former "”glory”. And now, it is used to inform people about Irish history and prison life. I really enjoyed it! I learned a lot there about Irish history, since I really knew nothing besides the potato famine before I came here, to Ireland.

When it opened, they housed a number of prisoners, but once the famine hit, people began to break rules so they could go to jail, since once they were inside the jail and under the government’s care, they knew they would be fed and now begging and hungry on the streets. It also saw hundred’s of people walk through it’s doors when the Irish rebellion in 1916. There were tons of political prisoners who were taken there, and eventually executed. They housed men, women, and children. They told us this story about a little boy who was 5 years old who stole a chair, and he was in prison for 6 weeks. There is tons more that we learned, but that is basically the main points Smile I just love stuff like that!

5

One of the hallways in the prison. I can only imagine how cold it must have been back then, since they didn’t heat the place, and they left the windows open all the time, because they thought that the cold air helped the prisoners to think about what they did and to reform them better. I mean, it was cold in there and we were in pants and sweatshirts, and it was June! Imagine in January!

7

This was what all the cell doors looked like. They had the little hole on top for the guards to look through, and then the bigger hole in the middle was for the flashlights, so the guards could shine them in at night and see the prisoners. They also put a row of carpet in front of the doors, so that way the guards could walk along it and peep into the cells, without the prisoners knowing that the guards were coming. Smart idea.

8

This is the wing that housed all the major political prisoners during the Rebellion.

10

This is the “newest” wing on the prison. It was built as a horseshoe, that way guards could stand at the front (where Becky with the camera is) and look around and be able to see all the cells. This part was also used un movies like

13

In one of the cells!

16

This is outside in one of the many courtyards. They had the prisoners come out here once a day for 1 hour and walk in a circle, silent, with their heads down for “exercise”. Then it was back to their cells for the next 23 hours.

18

This was the courtyard where all the executions took place. The black cross symbolizes the men who were killed there. They were then taken and buried in a mass grave across town so that people didn’t know where they were, they didn’t have to deal with the families, and there were no mourners. Another interesting thing it that they did the executions at 3 or 4am. This was because, back then, the city had a curfew, so people were at their homes at this time of night, and no one would hear them on the other side of this wall killing people. All in all, I really enjoyed the prison. It was so informative! (Wow. Nerdy much? But seriously, I loved it. Go.)

20

After the prison, we headed to the National Irish Museum, which is housed in old Irish Army barracks.

21

Becky though I was an embarrassment to be with. . . But when I am cold, I will do anything to stay warm. Including walking around looking like an idiot. (Notice the SAME OUTFIT AGAIN?! I am telling you. I was not prepared for the Artic.)

26

The museum was actually rather disappointing, but they did have a fantastic little dress up area! So, of course, I dressed up as an army man! And then, I learned how to do this gun drill thingy. I will post the video later Smile Do I look amazing or do I look amazing? Haha. And let me tell you, that hat was heavy. No bullet was going to get through there!

Next, we headed to the Old Jameson Distillery. (Again, it is the experience! Do not fear. I am a responsible young woman.)

29

Waiting for the tour to start! Also, in my defense, we were just expanding our knowledge. We had learned how beer was made, now we wanted to learn about how whisky was too!

30

Our tour guide here was H.I.L.A.R.I.O.U.S. We had such a “jolly good time” and learned all. About. Whisky. So, you want to make some, hit me up. Again. I can walk you through the process. Smile

40

The secret to the Jameson whisky, they separate the alcohol from the water 3 times, where as, in the States, we only do it 1 time. Oh, now you know the secret! Smile 

43

44

After the tour, we got “signature Jameson whisky”. I had mine with some cranberry juice, and I must say, I recommend it. So go out and get some Jameson! Smile 

60

Our last stop of the day was Dublin Castle! Built way back when. So far back in fact, it has slipped my mind. . . .But basically, it is really old. Smile 48

For the young ladies to socialize. 53

Where they still hold big government things! For instance, 2 weeks ago, Queen Elizabeth came to Ireland and they had a big ole’ dinner here. Basically, we were walking on history. Smile Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment